Register a Trademark in Mexico
Updated on Monday 08th January 2018
Rate this article 3 reviewsbased on
A trademark registration in Mexico offers a 10-year term of protection which begins on the filing date of the application. This may subsequently be renewed for a successive 10-year term, if the registered trademark has been utilized in the country and the connected official government is acquitted. In this article, our Mexico company formation consultants explain different aspects related to registering a trademark in Mexico.
The trademark registration procedure in Mexico
The registration procedure of a trademark in Mexico starts with filing an application with the Trademark and Patent Office in this country and the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property after approximately a month.
The Mexican Trademark and Patent Office will effectuate an initial examination in order to check whether the application complies with the official requirements.
When the application is correct, it will be published in the Official Gazette, otherwise the office makes an observation.
The trademark registration procedure in Mexico generally takes between six to eight months. Our company formation agents in Mexico can provide further details on this procedure. We also offer assistance in setting up a company in Mexico.
Information needed for a trademark registration in Mexico
To apply for a trademark registration in Mexico, the following information has to be submitted:
• A representation of the trademark. In the cases in which the trademark represents a design, the applicant has to submit a digital file of the design;
• The applicant’s entire name, address and nationality;
• The full date, including month, day, year, of the first use of the mark in Mexico. The date of this first use has to be correct and has to be supported with documentary proof in case it is contested by another party;
• The goods or services which will be covered;
• The full address where the products are sold or manufactured or where the services are to be protected and offered. This data has to be specified only if the trademark has already been utilized in the country. Our Mexico company registration advisors can provide more details related to how to register a trademark in Mexico.
If you need to know more about trademark applications in Mexico, or for help to open a company in Mexico, please do not hesitate to speak to our friendly staff.